The Bathroom Singing Effect ...

I read about the iCarta iPod Toilet Roll Holder few months ago. Some people may think spending oodles of time (watching tv / listening to music) in the bathroom is stupid. I did a little experiment this weekend and I would like to share what I found.


It was a lazy sunday morning, and I decided to run a nice hot bath. As the tub filled with steaming water, I took my Altec Lansing portable iPod speakers with me. It was such a relaxing experience listening to your favorite music in a nice hot tub ! And more important, the "Bathroom Effect" provided a great echo chamber to enrich the sound quality:

Many people sing in the bathroom because it acts as an echo chamber, especially with tiles installed. The multiple reflections from walls enriches the sound of one's voice, and "bathroom singers" enjoy themselves. Small dimensions and hard surfaces of a typical bathroom produce various kinds of standing waves, reverberation and echos, giving the voice "fullness and depth".

Now I couldn't find a better place in my room to put my speakers ...

No comments: